Introduce Yourself!

Share your experiences and questions about OCD here. Discussions about any type of OCD is welcome, including sexual obsessions (like sexual orientation OCD, also called SO-OCD or HOCD).

Moderators: celewi06, ajc13027, m_bravo, admin, monnicat, baylorlinz, BroderickS, SoSi, SLeavell, ocdspectrumguru, scooz731, jndowe01, js2869, andrewj

Re: Introduce Yourself!

Postby Munch » Tue Jan 13, 2015 9:02 am

❑ Your name, or what you prefer to be called.
Munch is fine. Obviously that is not my name. But, since I've been judged by the OCD thoughts I have, I've become a rather paranoid person.... even within an OCD forum.

❑ Your age

❑ Where do you live and/or where are you from?
I live in the US.

❑ What you do for a living and/or what you study in school?
I am trying to complete my degree in psychology. I'm a senior. But, given multiple hospitalizations and no so good financial aide news, I'm seriously doubting I'll be able to complete my 'job'.
❑ Where did you hear about this forum and what made you decide to join?
Given my thoughts/school situation, over the past week or so, my depression has increased. And, my wanting to exist has decreased. I was and am hoping to talk with others and perhaps with others who have similar thoughts.

❑ What benefits do you gain from participating in this community?
Just getting some glimmer of hope.

❑ Have you been officially diagnosed (as in by a licensed psychiatrist, not WebMD) with OCD or another psychiatric illness?
Yes.

❑ If so, for how long? How are you managing the symptoms (therapy, medication, etc)?
I lost count of how many years it has been. It's been at least since (maybe) 2004.

❑ And now, to end things on a lighter note, if you could be any superhero or super villain, who would it be and why?
Super heroes always seem to hide who the are. Villains. I think I'd rather be a super villain. Sorry... not a very light answer. :)
Munch

Jeremy from the UK

Postby JeremyP » Sun Feb 08, 2015 8:33 pm

My name is Jeremy from the UK.
My OCD is related to contamination, especially radioactivity & asbestos. I've suffered badly for the last 3 or 4 years but things are getting a lot worse. All treatments have failed and my life is a continual nightmare - the anxiety it causes is almost unbearable. I spend hours upon end (sometimes days) trying to resolve each destructive thought and when I get close to success, another equally damaging thought takes it's place and the process continues. I haven't had any peace for quite sometime, I can't sleep properly - just nightmares. The last thing my doctor told me was that there was nothing more they could do for me.
My most recent worry started at lunch time today. If anyone is interested, I could expand but I think I've said enough to start off with.
JeremyP

Postby Rocky81 » Thu May 07, 2015 11:13 pm

Hello,my name is rich and iam 33 years old from ft.worth,texas.I enjoy weightlifting,martial arts and cooking.Now to give a short history,since i was a child i have always been nervous.I had experienced alot of trauma when i was a kid.Right around 2004, i had my first panic attack and have never been the same.Here recently,since july/aug 2014,my life has gotten severely worst.On top of having anxiety and some depression i developed ocd.Iam now afraid of contamination and germs.I never even knew this existed!That being said,it has taken a massive toll on my health and marriage.Today as iam writing this was a bad day.I had diahrrea and felt awful.My ocd also was real bad.Its like everything i do i have to be real careful and cautious.Some of my worst fears are going to the bathroom,pumping gas and being near or around broken glass.I have always second guess my self when doing these chores,but even then its still not good enough.Not to keep ranting,but its cool to know theres a forum for people such as my self.I hope to meet anyone who knows what iam going thru.
Rocky81

Postby ylrac96 » Tue Jun 23, 2015 4:09 am

- Carly
❑ Your age
- Massachusetts
- Communications student
- Stumbled upon it while doing some research on my feelings at the moment. I joined because I was overcome with joy that I am not alone! Looking for stories of hope and a network of help.
- Being able to communicate without being judged. A better understanding of the illness itself. Perhaps find some friends or people to talk and relate to.
❑ Have you been officially diagnosed (as in by a licensed psychiatrist, not WebMD) with OCD or another psychiatric illness?
- I have been diagnosed with Anxiety and trichotillamania (when I was 8) but have not felt it necessary to seek a psychiatrist since then. However I am not reaching out for help from a local expert and assume I will be diagnosed with OCD immediately.
❑ If so, for how long? How are you managing the symptoms (therapy, medication, etc)?
- I am clearly not doing a good job at managing my symptoms. I feel completely out of control of my thoughts. I can't sleep or eat because I am so stressed out. I can't fall asleep and if I do it is only for a couple of minutes. I threw up the salad I ate for dinner because
of how disgusted I am with my own thoughts. Definitely need professional help, probably meds as well.
❑ And now, to end things on a lighter note, if you could be any superhero or super villain, who would it be and why?
I would love to have a Doctor Who type of super power- the ability to travel through space and time! I would love to go back and witness history, esp. the 60s and 70s. I love classic rock!!
ylrac96

Postby katiebettison » Thu Jun 25, 2015 10:55 pm

❑ Your age

Hi, my name Katie. I am 19 years old and I live in Missouri. I am currently going to college for a degree in music.

I have not officially been diagnosed, but everything I've researched points to OCD. I've been OCD my entire life, but I didn't realize the way I did things and the way I thought was abnormal until a few years ago. I am fortunately not as afraid of contamination as I might be, because I grew up in a third-world country (that probably desensitized me or something). But I am a neat-freak, a perfectionist, and extremely order-sensitive. I get paranoid over my grades at school, and I used to even finish other people's words if they didn't enunciate their consonants. And if that wasn't enough, I have strong social anxiety on top of all of this. Right now I'm not "treating" my symptoms, but I don't really know where to start.

I'm not sure if I could pick any ONE superhero or villain. Did I mention I'm also super indecisive? ;)
katiebettison

Postby MarilynMonroe4Life » Sat Dec 12, 2015 7:19 am

Hello guys I'm new to this forum here's some info about me

1. My Name is Adam
2. I'm 22 years old
3. I'm from the north east of England (unfortunately)
4. I'm studying IT
5. I heard about this forum from browsing on the internet about HOCD (which is what I currently have :'( )
6. I hope to get some advice or help regarding my OCD, but I'm hoping to even help others as well.
7. Whilst I haven't been officially diagnosed with OCD yet I have been sent to get assessed for OCD even my therapist believes I have it, but I was diagnosed with an Anxiety Disorder when I was a kid
8. Through therapy at the moment.
9. Batman EASY!

And here's a little more info for you I am autistic, I absolutely ADORE Marilyn Monroe, and I am a massive gamer! :)
MarilynMonroe4Life

Postby mcv » Mon Feb 08, 2016 12:30 am

❑ Your name, or what you prefer to be called. Mark
❑ Your age. Ugh! 51.
❑ Where do you live and/or where are you from? Kansas City.
❑ What you do for a living and/or what you study in school? Art.
❑ Where did you hear about this forum and what made you decide to join? Psychology Today. I have a host of mental health issues, plus OCD.
❑ What benefits do you gain from participating in this community? Reassurance and a guide on how to manage or overcome this issue.
❑ Have you been officially diagnosed (as in by a licensed psychiatrist, not WebMD) with OCD or another psychiatric illness? Bi-Polar. Med.s and therapy.
❑ If so, for how long? How are you managing the symptoms (therapy, medication, etc)? Just started dealing with my deep seated OCD, I have been embarrassed to talk about this for years.
❑ And now, to end things on a lighter note, if you could be any superhero or super villain, who would it be and why? As an old comics guy, I would say the Jade giant, the hulk. Because his sole raison de...., or something, was to be left alone and to smash. But, mostly to smash. :mrgreen:
mcv

Postby DavisD » Thu Feb 11, 2016 2:12 pm

I am DavisD. I am a Masters student in Counseling Psychology. I wish to understand the complexity of obsessive compulsive disorder with the aim of understanding what triggers it, whether the particular individual surfers any physical pain or emotional turmoil when the disorder strikes.
The forum is a good sharing platform
DavisD

Postby DavisD » Thu Feb 11, 2016 2:13 pm

I am DavisD. I am a Masters student in Counseling Psychology. I wish to understand the complexity of obsessive compulsive disorder with the aim of understanding what triggers it, whether the particular individual surfers any physical pain or emotional turmoil when the disorder strikes.
The forum is a good sharing platform
DavisD

Postby dglad » Fri Jul 01, 2016 1:09 pm

Hi there! I'm Dave.

❑ Your age

I'm 54 years old.

I live in the province of Ontario, Canada. Now, Ontario's a big place, and that's all I'm going to reveal for the moment, at least until such time as I get comfortable here.

I'm self-employed, co-owning two businesses with my wife.

It was a web search (that found the old forum, actually, but that one helpfully redirected me to this one). I'm joining because I'm really hoping to be able to talk to some people who suffer from the same thing I do...that being, sexual OCD. Specifically, I'm plagued by the OCD-driven "belief" that I'm gay, and have been all my life, despite the fact I'm happily married, with 3 wonderful (and now adult) kids.

To be able to talk to others who are actually grappling with the same things I am. I need to talk to someone(s) who "get it", who understand what it means to deal with this vile obsession.

I've been diagnosed with OCD and Tourette's.

I've only been diagnosed about ten years ago, but I've wrestled with this damned thing all my life. As for managing the symptoms, to the extent that I am, it's through therapy and medication. The trouble is that I'm not really managing the symptoms well at all, and am looking for more help. Joining here is a part of what I'm hoping that help will be.

Hellboy. Honestly, I'm not a big superhero fan, but I love Hellboy and his story.

Thanks for reading. I'm gonna get to know these forums and, hopefully, some of you along the way!
dglad

PreviousNext

Return to Talk about OCD