Introduce Yourself!

Share your experiences and questions about OCD here. Discussions about any type of OCD is welcome, including sexual obsessions (like sexual orientation OCD, also called SO-OCD or HOCD).

Moderators: celewi06, ajc13027, m_bravo, admin, monnicat, baylorlinz, BroderickS, SoSi, SLeavell, ocdspectrumguru, scooz731, jndowe01, js2869, andrewj

Introduce Yourself!

Postby celewi06 » Fri Jun 20, 2014 1:35 am

Hello everyone, Claire here, your friendly neighborhood lab rat and forum mod. I think it's high time this forum got an introduction thread, so I took it upon myself to create one. Here is where members old and new can help the rest of us get to know them - I think it is very important to build a sense of trust, familiarity, and community here on the forum. After all, that's what this forum is: a community.

There are no specific content requirements for introductions, but here are some suggestions to get the ball rolling**:

❑ Your name, or what you prefer to be called.
❑ Your age
❑ Where do you live and/or where are you from?
❑ What you do for a living and/or what you study in school?
❑ Where did you hear about this forum and what made you decide to join?
❑ What benefits do you gain from participating in this community?
❑ Have you been officially diagnosed (as in by a licensed psychiatrist, not WebMD) with OCD or another psychiatric illness?
❑ If so, for how long? How are you managing the symptoms (therapy, medication, etc)?
❑ And now, to end things on a lighter note, if you could be any superhero or super villain, who would it be and why?

**As always, only post what you feel comfortable sharing.

Can't wait to hear from you guys! I'll get things started and post my own personal responses about experiences here shortly.
Last edited by celewi06 on Fri Jun 20, 2014 2:15 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: grammar/spelling
Claire Elizabeth Lewis
Researcher, UofL's Center for Mental Health Disparities
Memory & Cognition Lab
Be Well Counseling Clinic
Twitter: @UofLCMHD

"We know what we are but not what we may be."
~Shakespeare's Hamlet
celewi06

Re: Introduce Yourself!

Postby celewi06 » Fri Jun 20, 2014 2:13 am

As promised, here are my responses:

❑ Your name, or what you prefer to be called.
↳ 'Claire' is just fine. Call me 'Clairebear' only if you have a death wish.

❑ Your age
↳ 22.5 years old.

↳ From Hanover, IN and currently residing in Louisville, KY.

↳ I'm currently working as an undergraduate research assistant for Dr. Monnica Williams at the Center for Mental Health Disparities and for Dr. Keith Lyle in the Memory and Cognition Lab, both located at the University of Louisville, which I attend full time as a psychology major/justice administration minor. During the school year, I also hold a position as a work-study secretary in the university's Writing Resource Center in the library.

↳ I learned about the forum from Dr. Williams, and joined in the hopes that I could offer what little expertise I have on the subject to help people better understand OCD, while simultaneously learning more about the disorder myself.

❑ What benefits do you hope to gain from participating in this community?
↳ As previously stated, I hope to provide moral support for those suffering from OCD while keeping up with new research in the field and learning as much as I can.

❑ Have you been officially diagnosed (as in by a licensed psychiatrist, not WebMD) with OCD or another psychiatric illness?
↳ Never with OCD, but I have been diagnosed with depression and other various mood disorders, along with Generalized Anxiety Disorder (GAD), Adult ADHD, and Panic Disorder.

❑ If so, for how long? How are you managing the symptoms (therapy, medication, etc)?
↳ 12 years. I am currently on medication for depression, ADHD, and anxiety, along with seeing a psychiatrist and a therapist on a regular basis. In addition to this, I practice mindfulness, meditation, and yoga to keep me focused and calm. I also do a lot of cardio to reduce stress and I have found that this both improves sleep and reduces depression as well.

❑ And now, to end things on a lighter note, if you could be any superhero or super villain, who would it be and why?
↳ Oh man, it's a tie between Poison Ivy from the Batman comics, because she's a brilliant, mad she-scientist gone bad AKA everything I want to be (kidding. Mostly.), or Venom from The Amazing Spider-Man comics because...dude. Venom.
Claire Elizabeth Lewis
Memory & Cognition Lab

~Shakespeare's Hamlet
celewi06

Postby gratefulalive » Mon Jul 07, 2014 1:55 am

Hi :)
I'm paranoid, so gratefulalive is what I would like to be called lol
I'm 20
I live in NC
I don't really make enough for a "living" lol, I study psychology at school
I was googling the different types and forms of OCD after hearing about two forms of OCD that really described me. I had no idea about POCD and Scrupulosity before, but it fits me to a T. I didn't know that there were other people out here that suffered from this kind of stuff too.
I just want to be able to connect with others who are going through similar stuff.
I have been told that I have OCD traits (yet I don't think my counselor and I got to the POCD and Scrupulosity)
I have been diagnosed with that for more than half a year. I take citalopram for it
I would like to be Wonder Woman...doesn't she fly? I would love to fly.
I just want to say thanks to others who read this and thanks to the people who made this site. I used to think that the POCD and Scrupulosity would send me to hell (I hadn't known about it then, and I'm a Christian). The POCD made me want to kill myself, but glory to God, I am still here and love life and acknowledge the fact that I am not insane and not alone :) Praise God! God bless :)
gratefulalive

Postby celewi06 » Thu Aug 14, 2014 11:38 am

Great to meet you, and awesome to have another psychology student here on the forums. Also, Wonder Woman is awesome! She and DC in general don't get enough credit. Welcome to the forum, gratefulalive. Glad to have you!
Claire Elizabeth Lewis
Memory & Cognition Lab

~Shakespeare's Hamlet
celewi06

Postby lerbon123 » Sat Aug 23, 2014 9:57 pm

When I had PMO addiction, I would do it about 7-8 times a day, and even that's mild relative to some cases.
lerbon123

Postby ildikogaspar » Sat Oct 04, 2014 9:51 pm

Hello everyone, but specially Claire !

My name is Ildiko (age 48) and I took interest of this forum because of my son, Kevin( age 15)

We live in NYC,Queens. Kevin is a high school student, and I am just a good old waitress, working in Manhattan.
I am so new to this forum, only figuring out how things work. My first post took 2 month to show,and now i would like to pick up things, that it is approved now, I am for real....?!

Kevin was diagnosed with OCD on June 30, 2014 and hospitalized by next day.
I took him to ER, because he was very disturbed by intrusive thoughts for weeks, and even tough he would talk about them ( constantly - including the middle of the night ), nothing gave relief . And then he stopped eating for days, all he did was worry, and we drove around aimlessly for hours and hours, because that seemed to ease him.
So we went to the hospital, and after long evaluations they say, it is OCD.
He have thoughts of hurting himself (mostly by jumping front of the train, OR hurt me ,mostly with my favorite kitchen knife)

He was a week in the hospital, started medication SSRI - Zoloft right now at 150mg, but the doctor say need 200mg. It is not so smooth taking this pill as it is popping something for headache.
CBT therapy is also in progress, ERP - to be exact .
So we are seeing a therapist and a psychiatrist as well, but EVERYTHING IS SO SLOW

As a mother, i try to give him as much help as possible out there, and i am aware how important it is to learn about the nature of mental illness .
This reassurance seeking keeps going on no matter how sure you are that you have OCD,
what if is gonna change me.....
but it feels so real, so real that i have the urge to do it
what if i do it?!
am i a monster?
am I a killer......... so on
No one should go through this suffering, loosing out on life, not be able to enjoy the sunshine on your face and the breeze on your skin.

anyway, I found this forum just browsing on the web, looking for info

what else.... superhero issue, hmmmm, dont know the name, but i would love to influence the memory or freeze time.
ildikogaspar

Postby SesameWasher » Wed Oct 15, 2014 7:40 pm

18, lived in US, moved here since 2009. Currently in high school.
I saw this article and I decided to joined in
http://www.brainphysics.com/yourenotgay2.php
SesameWasher

Postby zuqiu1234 » Tue Nov 25, 2014 9:44 pm

Monnica Williams at the Center for Mental Health Disparities and for Dr.
www.fut15coins.co.uk
zuqiu1234

Postby rdcgcpais » Fri Jan 09, 2015 1:30 am

❑ Your name, or what you prefer to be called. Shannon
❑ Your age 27
❑ Where do you live and/or where are you from? South Carolina
❑ What you do for a living and/or what you study in school? Take care of my children
❑ Where did you hear about this forum and what made you decide to join? Google, I want to be able to talk to others that can relate.
❑ What benefits do you gain from participating in this community? I hope to expand my knowledge of OCD.
❑ Have you been officially diagnosed (as in by a licensed psychiatrist, not WebMD) with OCD or another psychiatric illness? Yes, OCD
❑ If so, for how long? How are you managing the symptoms (therapy, medication, etc)? I do not like to take medicines, I mange the best I can but its becoming
unmanageable.
❑ And now, to end things on a lighter note, if you could be any superhero or super villain, who would it be and why? Iron Man, he is super smart.
rdcgcpais

Postby amyamy » Mon Jan 12, 2015 5:01 pm

Your name, or what you prefer to be called.
❑ Your age

Santa Rosa, CA

English instructor, community college

Searched the Internet. Looking for support and shared stories

❑ What benefits do you gain from participating in this community?
Support, feeling like I belong somewhere in this way where I never feel like I belong anywhere

Yes. OCD.

Thirty years! I currently don't take medication or go to therapy. I am going to try therapy again. I think. I hope.

I just can't answer that now. I guess I'm not into superheroes enough to have one at hand that I identify with.
amyamy

Next

Return to Talk about OCD