OCD in ethnic minority groups

Share your experiences and questions about OCD here. Discussions about any type of OCD is welcome, including sexual obsessions (like sexual orientation OCD, also called SO-OCD or HOCD).

Moderators: celewi06, ajc13027, m_bravo, admin, monnicat, baylorlinz, BroderickS, SoSi, SLeavell, ocdspectrumguru, scooz731, jndowe01, js2869, andrewj

OCD in ethnic minority groups

Postby edt14001 » Thu Oct 05, 2017 9:57 pm

Hi all!

I have recently started working on a project focused on OCD in ethnoracial minority groups. My job is to help make some of the existing research a little more reader friendly!

This is where you all come in. In order to make each section more understandable, I am hoping to add a comment or two from someone talking about what it's like having OCD in each ethnic community covered. For this project, we are just looking at Asian Americans, Indian Americans, Latino/Hispanic Americans, Native Americans, African Americans, and Arab Americans. If you or anyone you know fits any of these descriptions and would like to make a comment, please message me!

The comments would stay anonymous unless otherwise requested!

Thanks!!
Emma
edt14001

Re: OCD in ethnic minority groups

Postby mc1 » Sat Oct 07, 2017 12:06 am

I'm black and I have OCD. I haven't told anyone about my HOCD except psychologists, but I have told my mom I have OCD. She has alluded to her having it too, but she's never told me to seek mental health. I did so on my own and didn't tell my parents for fear of ridicule or criticism.
mc1

Return to Talk about OCD